Sunday, March 25, 2012

ActiveX to warm up Report Server ?

Because the IIS threads are recycled at night, the first user that calls up Report Manager in the morning has to wait 30 seconds before the page loads, as IIS is creating a thread.

I'd like to set up a job in SQL Agent that will navigate to http://localhost/reports/ every morning before users come in to work, so they won't have to wait.

I think a SAL Agent job of type ActiveX Script would be suitable for this, so I need to write the code to navigate to the reports page in VBScript.

Anyone knows how to navigate to a page in VBScript ?

tia.

I meant SQL Agent job, of course, not SAL.|||

Schedule a job with a simple plain empty record and schedule this before the needed time.

Jens K. Suessmeyer.

http://www.sqlserver2005.de

|||

I know how to schedule a job, but what is a "plain empty record" ? I have lots of RS subscriptions scheduled already and they don't affect the way the first user has to wait 30 secs for Report Manager to load up.

What I wanted to know was how to navigate to the report manager home page in VBScript. I couldn't find any example anywhere.

|||

This isnt a solution that you are looking for but maybe you dont need to reschedule the IIS worker process every night? My reportserver serves up about 800 reports per week and its hosted on a server which also hosts 9 other web applications.

I have set it in IIS that the worker process for report server does not recycle at all, and so far it hasnt recycled for 6 weeks. I occasionally manually recycle it and then go straight to the report server home page to start up the server quickly again.

Depends on your environment but maybe you dont need to recycle it every night.

sql

No comments:

Post a Comment