Thursday, March 22, 2012

Active/Passive > Active/Active

You mean going from a single instance cluster to a
multiple instance cluster (this is the correct
terminology).
It depends on your disk setup. Remember that each SQL
virtual server needs its own set of dedicated disks, not
to mention a dedicated disk for the quorum, and if you're
using W2K3, one for MS DTC.
Also, you need to ensure you have enough memory and
processor to handle the additional load.
I suggest you look at any of the numerous sources out
there, including the SQL 2K HA book by MS Press, or the
failover clustering whitepaper on Microsoft.com
Hi Allan,
Thanks for replying. I should make myself clearer.
Right now I have 2 Dell 6450's attached to EMC Clarion.
They are setup as Active/Passive cluster. The company bought 2
new Dell 6650's and I will be swapping out the servers one at a time to upgrade the H/W.
One of the developers wants to go Active/Active and the only way I think I can do this is uninstall SQL and uninstall the cluster, then reinstall the cluster and and reinstall SQL. If that's the case I think we'll stay with Active/Passive since we couldn
't afford the downtime.
"Allan Hirt" wrote:

> You mean going from a single instance cluster to a
> multiple instance cluster (this is the correct
> terminology).
> It depends on your disk setup. Remember that each SQL
> virtual server needs its own set of dedicated disks, not
> to mention a dedicated disk for the quorum, and if you're
> using W2K3, one for MS DTC.
> Also, you need to ensure you have enough memory and
> processor to handle the additional load.
> I suggest you look at any of the numerous sources out
> there, including the SQL 2K HA book by MS Press, or the
> failover clustering whitepaper on Microsoft.com
>
>
|||I think your developer misunderstands the whole 'active-passive...'
nomenclature. Do you want one or two virtual servers on your cluster? If
one, then it is 'active-passive' or 'single-instance'. Two or more means
'active-active' or 'multi-instance'. If you want to transition your
existing single instance to new hosts, that is a different issue.
Geoff N. Hiten
Microsoft SQL Server MVP
Senior Database Administrator
Careerbuilder.com
I support the Professional Association for SQL Server
www.sqlpass.org
"plane123" <plane123@.discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
news:305B32A8-6A53-4337-A2AE-48F60DE459CB@.microsoft.com...
> Hi Allan,
> Thanks for replying. I should make myself clearer.
> Right now I have 2 Dell 6450's attached to EMC Clarion.
> They are setup as Active/Passive cluster. The company bought 2
> new Dell 6650's and I will be swapping out the servers one at a time to
upgrade the H/W.
> One of the developers wants to go Active/Active and the only way I think I
can do this is uninstall SQL and uninstall the cluster, then reinstall the
cluster and and reinstall SQL. If that's the case I think we'll stay with
Active/Passive since we couldn't afford the downtime.[vbcol=seagreen]
>
> "Allan Hirt" wrote:
|||Thanks for your input.
I think in order for me to create an active/active setup, I need to reconfigure the shared disk, which I can't do, I'd disrupt all the other attached servers.
Thanks
"Geoff N. Hiten" wrote:

> I think your developer misunderstands the whole 'active-passive...'
> nomenclature. Do you want one or two virtual servers on your cluster? If
> one, then it is 'active-passive' or 'single-instance'. Two or more means
> 'active-active' or 'multi-instance'. If you want to transition your
> existing single instance to new hosts, that is a different issue.
> --
> Geoff N. Hiten
> Microsoft SQL Server MVP
> Senior Database Administrator
> Careerbuilder.com
> I support the Professional Association for SQL Server
> www.sqlpass.org
> "plane123" <plane123@.discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> news:305B32A8-6A53-4337-A2AE-48F60DE459CB@.microsoft.com...
> upgrade the H/W.
> can do this is uninstall SQL and uninstall the cluster, then reinstall the
> cluster and and reinstall SQL. If that's the case I think we'll stay with
> Active/Passive since we couldn't afford the downtime.
>
>

No comments:

Post a Comment