Sunday, March 25, 2012

ActiveX to define presidence

I have a DTS package (SQL2000) which uses ActiveX scripts to check for records with certain criteria in a table. If the certain criteria is met, I want to initiate a child package that preforms a data-extraction. Otherwise move onto the next step which check for a different set of criteria. Currently if the criteria is met, I flag the task as success to dictate moving to one set of steps, otherwise failure & moving onto the next check.

The problem I am realizing, is that if I 'Fail' on of the check steps, subsequent steps furthur down the route that I am directing it to go, do not run. These are other ActiveX tasks that send email, and do furthur analysis.

Why is this the case? Can't you perform a logical check, and based upon the check have a decision to run certain steps? I attempted to use the result 'Main = DTSStepScriptResult_DontExecuteTask', but I must not be using it correctly, because it lists the task as returning failure.

Any help would be great.

Kevin Albrecht

DTS is called "SQL Server Integration Services" in the SQL Server 2005 generation. If you re-post your question in the SSIS forums (http://forums.microsoft.com/MSDN/ShowForum.aspx?ForumID=80&SiteID=1) the DTS experts that hang out over there could likely answer your question.

Thanks,
Steve

|||Moving thread as per the suggestion to keep in SSIS related forums.|||Don't use success/fail as the flag to move to the next step. Set a variable and use an "Expression" precidence constraint to pick which one to move too.

No comments:

Post a Comment