Saturday, February 25, 2012

Account used for sql 2005, x64, " lock pages in memory" option

Our sql 2005, x64, box, has 9GB of RAM and the sql server account is the "local system account". I opened the group policy editor to give that account "lock pages in memory" permission but I couldn't find that account in the "Add User or Group" pane of the policy editor. I did find something called "local service group" though it does not appear to exist as a local group or user on the box.

1. Do I need to create a domain user for this purpose?

2. Do the other services (e.g. Analysis Services, Integration Services, etc) also need to run under an account that has "lock pages in memory" privelage?

TIA,

barkingdog

Hey Dog,

I assume you want to do this because you are going to enable AWE?

1. You should not have to add Local System to this Policy because Local System pretty much owns the server, but you can add it by double clicking the policy>add user> and then type in SYSTEM and click OK. Make sure the Locations box is pointing to your local server and not to the domain when you do this.

2. I'm not sure but if they are both running under Local System as well then you should be covered by performing step 1.

|||

Andy,

Thanks, didn't know that stuff.

Also from what I understand (from Slava's blog) there is no need to enable AWE on an x64 machine with 64-bit OS and 64-bit sql 2005. (If you are interested I can probably find the URL to Slava's blog

Barkingdog

|||

Hey dog,

Yeah I do seem to remember that discussion but for some reason I remain skeptical

The reason I say that is I have an x64 server with 16GB of RAM and just for kicks I enabled AWE at 6144MB of RAM and after a month of running the server, SQL Server has never consumed more than 6GB of RAM, hhhmmm..

I'll have to do some more testing to see what the scoop is.

No comments:

Post a Comment