Friday, February 24, 2012

Accessing Views via ODBC from MSAccess

Hello,

This started as a simple thing, allow somebody to access to a database on a SQL 2005 server so they could get to it from MSAccess. I have created a login (Windows Authentication) so they can see the database and gave them "public" and "datareader" abilities.

The user then informed me that while they could see the views they could not see the data. Not being a DBA (sorry) I added "public" to the view's permissions (under properties) and granted it "Select" access and nothing else. After I completed this the user could not even see the views to pick them (via the ODBC link from MSAccess) and when I try to remove "public" from the permissions it dissapears, but when I reopen the permission "public" is back.

I then find out there is no data in the views and so the user would not have been able view anything anyway.

So what I want to do is remove "public" from the views permissions, is this possible?

Thanks for any help,

Tyrone

Hi,

naviagte in SSMS to the database open > Security > Roles > Database Roles > public > Right click Properties , Remove the permission from the public group to view the schema / Object.

HTH, Jens Suessmeyer.

http://www.sqlserver2005.de|||

Hi,

Thanks for the reply... now the strnage big... when I go to the public properties I cannot really find anything to remove. Nothing is ticked, any ideas?

Tyrone

No comments:

Post a Comment