Friday, February 24, 2012

Accessing the transaction log

Dear All,
Can someone let me know how I can have a look at the transaction log in SQL server. I'd like to find out what INSERT, UPDATE, DELETE commands have been executed on a table today, yesterday etc.
Can I see this easily?check this out...

http://www.lumigent.com/products/le_sql.html|||use DBCC LOG (dbname) it is undocumented and output is not easily readable but it might work for you|||check this out...

http://www.lumigent.com/products/le_sql.html

Thanks for this, I have installed it, however the trial version doesn't let me look at my own DBs. Any idea how much it costs, as there is no priceing on their website (I'm yet to contact them)|||use DBCC LOG (dbname) it is undocumented and output is not easily readable but it might work for you

Thanks for this, I bever actually used SQL server from the command line, I used ORACLE but ages ago, can you refresh my memory on how to get to the command line so I can type in the command you gave me, thanks a lot|||Thanks for this, I bever actually used SQL server from the command line, I used ORACLE but ages ago, can you refresh my memory on how to get to the command line so I can type in the command you gave me, thanks a lot

use the query analyzer to execute this.|||use the query analyzer to execute this.

Thanks, tried with all the options 1/2/3/4, can't really make much sense of it.

What I was looking for is when an insert / update / delete happened and what the data the cell contained before.

Or does this not exist in a transaction log?|||use the query analyzer to execute this.

Ok, it does make sense, now that I tried create and update commands and run the transaction log command. I guess it's as far as this will take me. Might have have another look at that Lumi.. software, it's just that the trial version doesn't seem to give me much options to see transactions on tables I created in my db previously.

Anyway, thanks for advice and if someone else knows a good free kit, I'd love to hear about it, thanks again!|||you can also try

select * from ::fn_dblog(null, null)

There's a bit of info on this function at:
http://www.novicksoftware.com/UDFofWeek/Vol1/T-SQL-UDF-Volume-1-Number-27-fn_dblog.htm

Regards,

hmscott

No comments:

Post a Comment