Friday, February 24, 2012

access-SQL ODBC link

> Hello,
> I am using trusted windows user connection to SQL
server.
> I created an ODBC link from Access to SQL server. I am
> able to modify data in tables through SQL Enterprise
> Manager however I am not able to modify them in Access.
> What is missing?
You need to create a primary key or unique index on any SQLS tables
you want to modify from Access.
--mary
On Sat, 17 Apr 2004 13:34:26 -0700, "JIM.H."
<anonymous@.discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:
[vbcol=seagreen]
>server.
|||Why do I have to do that? And if my primary key is based
on many columns will that cuse any problem?
>--Original Message--
>You need to create a primary key or unique index on any
SQLS tables[vbcol=seagreen]
>you want to modify from Access.
>--mary
>On Sat, 17 Apr 2004 13:34:26 -0700, "JIM.H."
><anonymous@.discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:
Access.
>.
>
|||Why? because it won't work if you don't. Access can't locate the row
on the server, update it, and guarantee data integrity if the table
doesn't have a PK. If your PK is based on too many columns, then you
should consider a surrogate PK. A good starting point would be
"Database Design for Mere Mortals: A Hands-On Guide to Relational
Database Design" by Mike Hernandez.
--Mary
On Sun, 18 Apr 2004 17:58:46 -0700, "JIM.H."
<anonymous@.discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:
[vbcol=seagreen]
>Why do I have to do that? And if my primary key is based
>on many columns will that cuse any problem?
>SQLS tables
>Access.

No comments:

Post a Comment